How do you read?
- I appreciate the language used and the simpler the language, the more the admiration. It is a true art to draw people into a story with very simple language
- I love the character development and often think how the author came across the character. Was it based upon someone they knew? Did the nasty, evil characters start as that or did it develop later? When I started writing Beyond the Past I didn’t have a sinister character, by the end of it I had half a dozen!
- I love the plot development and appreciate how hard it is to work that plot. I can see the pivotal moments and I do imagine if I had written the book, would I have thought of the same outcome.
- I am always looking for an underlying plot.
- Did the author write in the little clues and sub plots during the first draft or after they had written the ending?
- If it is a Stephen King, James Herbert or John Grisham book, I try to imagine if they had to force the words out or did they flow out in the same way as they did when they began writing. Does the writing show they struggled?