Beyond the Past is selling well. You can read the 1st three chapters FREE here. Links to buy the book are:
Or you can order from your local bookshop. The ISBN number is : 978-1-84386-789-0
I have had a lot of enquiries this week asking me the best way to start out and market written work. I don’t like giving generic advice as I am always aware that what works for one does not necessarily work for another. I am, however happy to share and discuss my experiences so far.
My steps to being published:
- I wrote and edited the book
- I gave my sister the task of reading and editing the book. She did a grand job.
- Researched the market – Literary Agents; Publishers; Self-publishing options
- Researched the dos and don’ts of publishing!!
- Researched the other options of websites such as Authonomy.
- Wrote a synopsis and cover letter, the latter was a nightmare!
- Picked out a batch of Literary Agents and pitched my book to them. It was totally demoralising getting no response. A ‘no’ was better than nothing as nothing to an eternal optimist means ‘maybe’.
- I received one constructive response and I am eternally grateful to that Agent who gave me pointers on how to improve my pitch and the story. He would have taken it on but his employer didn’t like NEW writers.
- I took on board his comments and made changes. Chapter three became Chapter One.
- I did a full edit again
- Sent out a further hundred or so requests and nothing!
My changed approach
- I set up my own website – after all I had just graduated with a first class honours degree in computing
- Set up my own social media sites and started connecting with fellow authors, publishers and agents.
- Attended local networking groups
- Started this blog
- Started writing guest blogs and articles.
- Contacted local press
- Made a conscious decision to make my blog personal so people could learn who I was as an artist and human being
- I started to build my own audience and it worked
- Paid for advertising that didn’t work – Doh!
MY ADVICE : PROMOTE YOURSELF
It’s funny how I sat down with a little seed of an idea and it has turned into this blog – LIFE IS FOR LIVING, with or without Menieres. Whatever you do this week - do it with passion, perseverance and a huge smile on your face.