Monday 14 April 2014

The true spirit of sport by just a Mum


Well I turned up to a rugby match yesterday in summer clothes!! That was very optimistic but then again, that sums me up perfectly. I always try to see the good in everything and everyone, including hope of a happy outcome even out of terrible events. If my team loses I never turn against them. We grow so much more from loss, adversity and negative experiences than when we coast through life. I know I have instilled this philsophy into the boys which will stand them in good stead for their journey in life.



Sport is a wonderful medium in which to instill good, positive behaviour into children. This was demonstrated so clearly by football teams up and down the country and across the world this weekend. It makes me so proud to see the whole of the football world coming together to commemorate the loss of 96 fans that just went to a football match. Tomorrow I am going to Anfield to stand shoulder to shoulder with people I greatly admire. They have stood together for twenty five years and stared adversity straight in the face and never took 'no' for an answer. I am taking a Leeds Rhinos scarf for the Shankly gates to show rugby league stand with them too. Justice will follow. #JFT96.

On Saturday I was standing on the touchline watching my youngest train at football. It is so important for them to learn at an early age what team work is and to understand how to interact with people from all backgrounds. Team sports are perfect for this. Children learn without even knowing they are being taught. Never, ever underestimate the influence an exceptional coach can have on your child's life. Equally don't underestimate the power you have to positively influence your child's outlook of the world and their role within it.

This was demonstrated perfectly on Sunday. My eldest showed true character at his rugby match and far exceeded his years in terms of his integrity and wisdom. I want to thank the opposition parents that gave me such praise and credit for his behaviour. However he deserves 100% of the credit for putting into practice what I have taught him. I wrote in my blog Books, Blogs and Life about kids who understand their pathways but I forgot one essential element - SELF RESPECT. My son taught ME yesterday that if you teach a child self respect, everything else in their life will fall into place. The spirit of rugby league is in good hands...

Beyond the Past 


The book received another 5* review this week. It may not seem much to most people but any author will know how we love to cling onto any sign that someone is reading our work and enjoying it!  When the book was published I never imagined how deafening the silence would be. It isn't until you start getting independent feedback that you actually start to believe. I am sure other authors may agree or maybe it is just me! So when you get one glimmer of hope that, not only people are reading your work but someone actually loved it enough to write a review, well it's like winning a CUP FINAL (Okay so I am exaggerating but you get the point). Thank you for taking the time to read, enjoy and write about my book. It is appreciated.

If you haven't read it yet, you can read the 1st three chapters of Beyond the Past FREE (Really hard to say for a Yorkshire Lass!) at www.pamcharles.com. There is also a list of characters and news of what I have been up to. 

Paul’s fundraising efforts 





Watch out for Paul's post this week. I have a feeling it will be entertaining! http://givingplentytotwenty.blogspot.co.uk




Even the smallest amount can make a difference.

I almost forgot to say, one of my friends shared a positive thought I had posted on Facebook to her wall and one of her friends decided to give her small business idea a go!!! How cool is that!! One positive message, imagine if we all did that once everyday.

Well I am off to write the sequel now. Have a wonderful week everyone. If you would like to get in touch, comment here or through:










No comments:

Post a Comment