Friday 20 June 2014

YES....we survived...EXAMS!!!!

We survived... the EXAMS!!! Hope you all did too. Give them a big massive hug and give yourselves a huge pat on the back.We shall see how much the government manipulates the results in August.

I don't know about you but I am sick of education going round in circles in the UK. In my humble opinion we don't compete with the rest of the world because of the yoyo politics of this country. As always the first thing to be hit by the MPs is education and who do they blame for the failures - the teachers, the parents and even the children rather than themselves. Ofsted is being used as a political whip to beat teachers into submission. Give them a break!! I can't imagine having to motivate 30 children all at once, can you? It takes all my energy to keep two motivated especially towards the end of term.

What I would like to see is an independent panel comprising of academics, teachers and industry bosses that look at the overall demand for the workforce and what skills are required now and in the future and the curriculum should be tailored around that, not around 'British' values - and I have yet to get anyone to define what they are!! How about 'community' values and tolerance, that's what we should be teaching. Just a little side issue, isn't it a bit strange that UKIP do well in the polls and suddenly Ofsted put some schools in special measures that they were warned about two years prior. Just saying!!

MPs should only be allowed to set the education budget because let's face it they are not qualified to tell people who have worked hard through university and actually know what they are doing, how to do their jobs. If I hear one more time, "it never did me any harm." Well, quite clearly it did because you have no idea about the real issues affecting real people! This morning, after twenty years of advising schools not to make sport competitive, we are being told competitive sport IS a good thing. I feel for us parents and teachers but I feel the children even more. They deserve every possible chance to compete in the future workplace and we, as a country - I MEAN YOU PARLIAMENT - are letting them down. I work tirelessly to make sure my boys are grounded, understand the importance of hard work, lead by example with a solid work ethic and teach them tolerance and self respect. GOVE I do my bit, now you do yours!

I feel so much better for getting that off my chest.

Talking of opportunities, Sheffield Eagles have formed a unique partnership with Championship Football team Sheffield Wednesday to provide young people with a qualification to lead to higher education or employment. 
The open training session for the course will take place at the Hillsborough Arena Sports Association (HASA), on Monday 23rd June 6pm-8pm.
Check out the details. 

The Dreaded 'F' Word.


I mean Football, of course.  World cup fever has taken over our house and I couldn't be happier. We have lots of banter and analysis in fact I am considering nominating my seven year to provide alternative commentary to Adrian Chiles!! Are you with me?

We all have our favourites outside England. Obviously Suarez is a mega star in our house but we do love Mario Ballotelli and it is truly disgraceful how he is being treated by some fans in Italy. I don't think most people get it. Is he conceited? No he is taking the mickey and that's what I like about him and about Joey Barton and Jose Mourinho - they don't take themselves seriously, they leave that to the British Press! Hopefully Mario can help us out and I hope he does get his kiss, on the cheek from the Queen. For me it is not hard to support Italy at all. I have a love affair with Italy that stems from my teenage years - the food, the wine, the people & the cars - Ferrari have and always will be MY team.

Germany and Holland, both starting the tournament well have taken me back to those dark years of England under Taylor et al. Scary nightmares but then I think of our new rising stars and the smile returns. For us LFC fans, it is no surprise that Raheem is taking the world by storm. He is incredibly talented and with Brendan's help he is without doubt a star in the making. I do cringe though when I think if he keeps up his stunning performances LFC are going to have to fend off ridiculously outrageous offers from clubs worldwide - great for Raheem not so great for us LFC fans!!

To all those critical fans and media that had a go at the players and coaching staff moaning before a ball was even kicked and complained about the formation against Italy - be careful what you wish for!! 

It was great to read Louis Tomlinson of One Direction invested in Doncaster Rovers. What a great idea - a famous celebrity giving back to the community that he grew up - now there's an idea people!!


Writing



Most of this week's work has been on planning and preparation for the final push of the sequel to Beyond the Past. The twenty year conspiracy comes to a head in Beyond the Lies and I have really enjoyed creating the intricate details that will bear all the truths behind the lies. Will Mark and Annie ever be at peace? You'll have to wait to find out.

The sequel has made me laugh and cry whilst writing it... but I'm going to stop there so I don't give anything away - Mums the word!!

You can read the first three chapters of Beyond the Past on my website FREE, yes FREE!! Being a Yorkshire Lass I do like 'owt for nowt. My website is www.pamcharles.com.

This week I joined the Authors Database and I'm still learning how to use it so bear with me and I am on Goodreads - pop over and say hello.

Once I've published this blog I am off to write more of the sequel this afternoon but this weekend I am preparing presentations for two talks on the 30th June at Wetherby High School. To be honest, I am really looking forward to them but also a little scared of the first one at least - to school children, in my opinion the harshest critics of all!

The event is part of a Things Literary festival run by the school's Trust and I am so privileged to be a part of it. For more details see the school website. In the afternoon I will be speaking to members of the community - you are very welcome to join us. Tickets are available at the school office



A quick thank you to all my twitter followers on both the book (@BeyondthePast1) and my account (@CharlespR2D2 – pop over and say hello.



You can purchase the book from 
Pegasus Publishers  
Amazon UK  
Amazon US

OR ORDER FROM YOUR LOCAL BOOKSHOP.


Twitter

Facebook
www.pamcharles.com
LinkedIn

I can't finish without mentioning the fabulous news that Michael Schumacher is rehabilitating. Quite frankly, the news made my week! - #keepfightingmichael.

Two final thoughts - enjoy your weekend and come on Italy!!!















No comments:

Post a Comment