Sunday 8 March 2015

International Women's Day ... we can all do IT



I don’t even know where to start with this week’s blog. My mid-week blog was the most personal one I have done, yet is was by far the most popular. So how do I top it?

Well, first of all a huge big thank you for all your support for the boys and me. I wrote it to get the truth out there and stop all the lies. I love rugby league and the rugby league community. It is an amazing family to be part of but like all families there are always the few jealous, vindictive members that want to spoil it for everyone else. These are the people that should be ashamed of themselves, bringing the fabulous game into disrepute. Children in junior sport should ALWAYS come first and some adults should only be allowed in that environment in the hope that they learn from the ethics of the sport. 

Wes is lucky enough to be playing for a truly professional, family orientated rugby league club. If he makes a successful career out of it, then it will be a bonus but not the end of the world if he doesn’t. He has, with my guidance, put himself in a very strong position not just in the sport, but in his academic success too. He is in the driving seat and from where I am sitting, in pole position.

International Women’s Day

Hopefully, one day we won’t need this day. Equality is about being equal, not superior.  This weekend I watched the BBC film, Pride. The film is set during the 1980s miner’s strike, a subject very close to my heart. It follows the story of the support, financial and physical, given to the miners from the Lesbian and Gay community. It is an incredibly powerful and moving film for me for many reasons. Firstly, it brought back very strong, deep rooted feelings of injustice and wrongdoing by the government on ordinary, hardworking communities. Secondly, it showed the blatant bigotry, prejudice, injustice and inequality of our society. Sadly, my gut feeling is we have gone backwards in the last five years fuelled by biased media and phobia driven by and under the excuse of austerity. It saddens me that I feel I am living in 1980s Britain again.

We shouldn’t need to fight for equality, for the right to earn a living for a decent, equal pay but we still do have to. Keep fighting!

I despise any person, man or woman that puts people down due to their own life choices. It says far more about the aggressor’s inability to accept and embrace diversity and equality. After all, we are all just human beings renting a space for a short time on this planet. This is how I see all of us…



I celebrate International Women’s Day because I’m proud to stand up for equality and being a fair human being.

Life Goals


Now I have found my voice and my life, I want to pursue all of MY ambitions. My next goal is to achieve a PhD then go on to hopefully become an academic at university. I love research, books, knowledge and learning new things. I’ve always looked up to academic staff in awe but never felt I was good enough to be up there with them, even though I reached the last nine for funding on my first attempt in 2011. The time is now right for me to have another go. NEVER GIVE UP!

Writing


It’s funny but the busier I am, the more I get done. This is what I’ve been up to this week, in between hospital appointments, rugby training, home management and all the other things us single parents do.

SHORT STORY

This is for a competition. It is written, edited and ready for submission this week. You have to be in it to win it.

OUT OF THE DEPTHS OF DESPAIR

This is a new draft I am working on. I don’t want to give too much away other than to say this is a mystery/romance and I have fallen in love with the main characters. Very strong feeling about this one.

FROM BEHIND THE PAINTED SMILE

This is the next crime novel including DCI Fisher, following on from Beyond the Lies. It is set in Wetherby. Four unexplained deaths lead to an unexpected psychopathic killer. Watch this space!

BEYOND THE LIES

As you know this is the sequel to Beyond the Past. I honestly think I have put myself under too much pressure with this sequel. I’ve spent too much time worrying about it. There was something missing AND I’ve found it, STARING me in the face! Well actually, it woke me up in the middle of the night. Now I can now change the draft, well after the PhD proposal, short story, Mummy duties – I think you get the idea!

I finally, truly believe I have my life and more importantly, myself now. I’m ready to kick on and even, hopefully meet my soul mate. It’s taken forty plus years, two failed relationships and listening to people telling me ‘not a chance’, ‘you can’t’, ‘you won’t’, ‘you’re an idiot’, ‘know your place’, for me to realise ‘I can, I will, just watch me…’

The balance of power has shifted and I did that! You can too…





No comments:

Post a Comment