Saturday was an incredibly busy but proud day. In the morning, Lucas played football and in the afternoon Wes made his debut for Sheffield Hallam Eagles. I spent most of Saturday freezing to death on the Siberian touchlines – okay it was Wetherby and Sheffield but boy it felt like Siberia! Words could not do any justice to the pride that overflowed from my heart.
WRITING – LEARNING ON THE JOB
Beyond the Past is selling well. You can read the 1st three chapters FREE here. Links to buy the book are:
Or you can order from your local bookshop. The ISBN number is : 978-1-84386-789-0
BEYOND THE LIES
- First, rough draft scribbled on paper then typed
- Spelling, grammar checks
- Search and delete unnecessary, words like ‘very’. It’s interesting to find over 300+ ‘very’ in your work and be upset with yourself that you’ve used it that many times in 170,000 words only to find that the majority of them are actually part of other words like everyone, everybody, etc. I am such a dork sometimes.
- Print and dissect the draft. I mean crucify it!! Every piece of it is scrutinised.
- I have totally re-written some chapters of Beyond the Lies. I am so happy with the re-write. If I’m not happy with it, it won’t go out. A lesson learned the hard way.
- Once all the amendments are done, and I’m only a third of the way through Beyond the Lies at present, I go back and repeat steps 1 to 4.
- Final read through and my reader edits too.
- Then I may send it to the publisher.
- Legal/contract work
- Customer services
- Planning and preparation
- Public speaking
- Time management
- Sheer hard work and determination
- Web design
- Social media management
- Chief negotiator, diplomat, fixer
- PA, receptionist, tea maker (most important job of all!)